United Way Day of Action
National Day of Volunteerism
Each year on June 21st, United Ways across the country participate in a nationwide day of service called Day of Action. With more daylight hours than any other day, June 21st is an opportunity to mobilize the caring power of thousands of people in each community to show, by example, what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Anyone can participate in this national day of service – from championing a cause to joining a volunteer activity with the whole family. Save the date and start planning today.
Mark your calendars for the annual Day of Action! Find a project in your area or create one on your own.
Here are a few ideas to help jump start your Day of Action plans:
Individuals: Give an hour, a day, or a week
- Bring your gently used clothes to a family shelter or local donation bin
- Bring healthy nonperishable foods to a local soup kitchen or food pantry
- Pack and help distribute food to senior citizens or the homeless
- Help students with autism learn how to garden
- Clean up a playground or lend maintenance assistance
Businesses, clubs, and community groups:
Lend time and talent to help the community
- “Adopt” an agency
- Donate your time and talent – accounting, marketing, design, etc.
- Donate office supplies - energy efficient light bulbs, paper, pens, etc.
- Donate media space to advertise the agency’s services to the public
- Loan your maintenance/grounds person for small jobs
- Hold a drive for neighbors in need
- Healthy food and produce
- School supplies
- Winter coats, hats, scarves, and gloves
- Complete a project at a local agency
- Painting offices or living space
- Landscaping and cleaning up outdoor space
- Funding and building a playground for children in need
United Way is pleased to facilitate volunteerism with partner agencies.
For more information, contact: BDepena@unitedwayli.org